INVITATION TO LOOK AT THE “STARS”
How are you applying Yoda Leadership Practices?
You’ve probably heard, seen, … and eaten a lot of “star wars patented products” the last days or weeks. How can “Star Wars” help us to reflect on leadership?
What do you think about these 9 lessons collected by reading recent articles and by carefully observing Yoda in practice? For leadership specialists they probably make them think of “Servant Leadership”:
- “Don’t try. Do! “
- “Overcome your fears.”
- “Your world is a reflection of you.”
- “You are not the hero, but your mentees may be.”
- “If you are not careful, your organization may produce a Darth Vader.”
- “You work is never done.”
- “Sometimes, you have to kick evil’s butt yourself.”
- “It’s up to you.”
- … “Sometimes you may be misunderstood.”
How can it be a source of inspiration for one leaderSHIFT required to respond to the VUCA(*) world we are living in. It’s time to invite the superman/woman among us to change their “famous blue/red mantle” for a “Yoda Robe”.
What about trying to apply the 5 following Yoda rules to your colleagues and see what happens? Ask questions to lead (yoda), not to solve (superman/woman).
- Understand their strengths and give them consistent opportunities to use them;
- Let them know it’s OK to ask you for help and value them for coming with questions or challenges to your vision or plans;
- Recognize the power of failures … especially if there are shared, discussed and served as a basis for learning & development;
- Support them from the start and stand behind them all the way;
- Show how happy you are when they have success.
A Yoda leader is as wise as an experienced manager, but smart enough to know that you must learn to be independent. A Yoda Leader trusts you because he or she believes in your potential to create more value than you can imagine!
May the force be with you!
(*) VUCA world: Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity and Ambiguity